There’s a huge range of pleco species out there. your definition of alarge tank is different, your can be like a 10 gallon, and my large tank is a 500 gallon. I would put them in a 20 gallon to be on the safe side. The freshwater fish compatibility chart below will give a good overview of the common types of fish that can usually be kept happily together. They would do MUCH better in a 15-20 gallon tank. If you’re attempting to keep a male-female pair together, your tank should be at least 15 gallons. Once you know that the minimum tank size is 10 gallon (with 20-30 gallon being advised) you can follow our aquarium set up guide for further details. Mollies are never aggressive towards other tank mates. The list below contains a short overview of the 20 best platy fish tank mates. Stocking Ideas for Your 20-Gallon Fish Tank. I bought a Top Fin 20 Gallon Starter Set (24 L, 12 W, 20 H) and was told that I could go up to one inch of fish per gallon of water. Bowls are just too small and are best used to just grow a few small plants inside. To successfully keep Betta fish and Vampire shrimp together you’ll need a 20-gallon Long aquarium that has low and high flow areas. They should be kept in schools of at least 6 to 8 (although 16 to 20 is better) in a 20-gallon aquarium with other small, docile fish. You could put cherry barbs, tetras, and guppies in a 20 gallon tank. ... 1 decade ago. If you can provide these conditions, you can put discus and angelfish together, however make sure, that your angelfish will not harass their mates. 15-gallon tank for 2 Bettas; 20-gallon tank for 3 Bettas; 25-gallon tank for 4 Bettas; 30-gallon tank for 5 Bettas; If you plan on keeping a single Betta, your tank should still be at least 10 gallons. I used www.aqadvisor.com to play around with different types of fish. Although there are various types of mollies, the most common freshwater fish type is the small finned mollies. In the wild, Bettas are solitary fish. A mystery snail would be fine, but be warned... they poop a LOT. For first timers, or those who are new to the hobby and are setting up a community tank, this guide can help you make good fish choices. A tight-fitting lid is recommended, especially in a shallow nano-tank. Overstocking your tank can lead to a build-up of toxic waste products. The conditions of your tank will have to be properly prepared and set up. An aquarium heater and filter is a must. Also not all of them can live happily together. You can keep more than one together in a 20 gallon aquarium as long as they are of similar size. At first, a 35 to 55-gallon tank would fit its needs, but a mature specimen would need no less than a 180-gallon aquarium. As such, it’s important to know the species to include together … The shrimp grow rather large, ranging from 3-6 inches (8-15 cm) each, so you want them to stand out as the centerpieces of the aquarium by pairing them with nano fish like celestial pearl danios, Norman’s lampeye killifish, and chili rasboras. That means a 10-gallon tank requires at a minimum a filter rated at 40 gallons per hour. the rule:1 fish per gallon is the rule i think. Your filter should run four times the total volume of water in the tank through the filter each hour. For a 10 gallon, I would highly discourage putting guppies in there. First of all, the tank must be large enough. The fish can grow to four inches in … Too many fish for the space can cause dirty water and will lead to sick, stressed-out fish. I have a 10 gallon with 10 neon tetras at the time of writing this article. Which fish can live in a 3 Gallon Tank together? Lastly, be aware that filtration also plays a large part in how many fish your aquarium will support. In reality, a 3-gallon tank … Use aquatic plants, driftwood, and artificial decorations to block the water flow in certain spots where your Betta could retreat when exhausted. These fish can be challenging to find as they are very difficult to breed in captivity. A 3-gallon tank contains about 12 liters of water. Cherry barbs are okay, other barbs can be really agressive. Hillstream loaches prefer colder water ranging from 61-75 degrees F. They can grow up to 4″ in length, and are best kept as fancy goldfish tank mates. Dont orget that fish will grow. But if you dealing with anything under 20 gallons, you full now/. 10 Gallon Aquarium. A 55-gallon will only just cut it, and many would say that even that is not large enough, that a 90-gallon is needed. To start with, we will be discussing the ways to maintain such a small tank. However, to answer the question, the pleco and cichlid can cohabitate a tank together… Then I posted on here in another thread and someone said that rule isn't correct. A 10 gallon aquarium will provide plenty of space to add other fish with your Betta. Similar water parameters and behavioral traits are important factors that will determine if certain fish can be kept together. The only fish that could live in there would be a betta, snails, or two guppies. Fish compatibility should always be examined when setting up a community aquarium. These are the fish i like the most and can someone plz tell me if any of these fish can be kept in a 20 gallon reef tank? If need be, just have a lot of foliage so they can keep their space from one another. Fish should not live in bowls with the exception of a betta fish that can live in a 2.5 gallon to 5 gallon tank size. However, I'd still recommend that you keep a pretty close eye on water parameters (weekly testing) and consider doing at least a weekly 50% water change. Traditionally bettas are kept in very small tanks, hence the common statement of "one male per tank." If you are putting male and female together in a 10- gallon tank, then after a month one female platy can give birth to around 8-10 new fish … I was thinking a dwarf gourami before and neon tetras but then I saw this red parrot fish and they are so cute. That depends on what kind of pleco you are wanting to keep, what size your tank is, and why you are wanting to keep them in the first place. I know they grew huge and they won't be all happy in a 20 gallon tank. clownfish are salt water for starters, and would need a 20+ gallon tank. Full grown, they can reach 6-8 inches long. i mean..it relly depends becuz you wouldnt want to like put the max. A more accurate way of putting it would be one male per 20-gallon … Luckily, though, the pleco and cichlids can live together in the same tank. Emperor scorpions are probably the most common scorpion pet. Anyway, my fish are doing fine and I don't even know if I want to add anymore. Feed them krill and frozen bloodworm when juveniles, and also some ghost shrimp. This is a very important rule to keep in mind if you are looking to care for schools of fish. Reticulated Hillstream loaches have a … 0 2. Bicolor Angelfish, Eibli Angelfish, Flame Angelfish, Lemonpeel Angelfish, Bicolor Blenny, L awnmower-Orange Spotted, Midas Blenny, any kind of Cardinal that can be kept with shrimp, Anykind of clown fish, Black and gold damsel, HAWAIIAN DRAGON EEL!, you can vey easily overstock a tank..Very large tanks depend on the person. 10-gallon tank. Even though they can live together, but 10 gallons would be a little cramped. How to effectively maintain a 3-gallon tank. Emily. Favorite Answer. Other nano fish will live peacefully with gobies. If you have a tank that’s 20 gallons then here are some more tank mates you can keep with your betta. Is this a 10, or 20 gallon tank? The combination of the fishes for the tank must be such that no fish should end up harming any of the species of the tank which can have a considerable negative impact on the life of your aquarium. These fish may jump out of the aquarium. The fishes should have compatibility amongst themselves which can undoubtedly need to smooth upkeep of your 29 or 30 gallon tank. Although too small for some fish, a few fish, such as the ones we will be looking at in this article, can thrive in a 3-gallon tank. If you want a male and 2 females, not really. Only mated pairs of watchmen gobies can be kept in the same aquarium. Depending on the number of fish, I would recommend keeping discus fish and angelfish together in at least an 80 gallon tank. Another thing to keep in mind is that while tetras can typically thrive in a 10-gallon tank (and a betta can live in one that is just two gallons if he lives alone), the tank must be larger if you are keeping the two species together. It should be set up in a way that will provide enough hiding spaces for the tank mates. They produce quite a bit of waste, and are very active. At this size, you’ll be able to house fish such as tetras that need extra room to swim, as well as fish that can grow a little bit bigger than bettas, such as mollies. Get a Big Tank. Emperor scorpions are a tropical species and require temperatures in the mid 80s and humidity of 60-80%. A 20-gallon fish tank makes a nice display, but watch out for overcrowding. One cool thing about Fire eels is that they will recognize their owners so they can be hand-fed. However, few people keep bettas in these larger tanks. The general rule is that you should have room for one gallon of water for each inch of fish in your tank. Adjust the number of fish to the size of the tank to keep everybody happy, including you. You can keep one in a 10 gallon aquarium. Neon tetras, since they are a schooling fish, live well (and thrive) in a community tank with other members of their species. For a 20-gallon fish tank, you can get one to two bamboo shrimp and one vampire shrimp. If he is more interested in fish, then you could put all four of those fish species together in that tank (6 cherry barbs, 6 gold barbs, 6 neon tetras, 3 guppies). So, a ten-gallon tank can safely accommodate ten one-inch-long fish. In a 10-gallon tank, 3-4 platies can live comfortably. How to Keep Jack Dempseys and Oscars in the Same Tank 1. These fish require a well-lit tank with plenty of live plants. Any other fish would be way over crowed and die. Sizes larger than 20 gallons provide enough territorial space to allow multiple males. In truth, many fish cannot live with the cichlid due to their personality. Remember, when you’re picking a tank for bettas and their tank mates, you should choose length over height. Lv 4. This can be done by adding lots of plant life and even bog wood logs to obstruct the Betta’s field of view. If you’re interested in getting some tank mates for your betta then a 20 gallon fish tank is a great size. Mollies can live in both freshwaters as well as saltwater, depending on the way they are acclimatized. One combination that I came up with is 5 cherry barbs, 5 cardinal tetras, and 5 guppies. I have a 20 gallon fish tank which I just finished cycling and now I am trying to find a fish or a community of fish that's best for it. Evidently, there are many fish species you can keep in your aquarium, but not all fish species will survive or thrive in a 20 gallon tank. 1 decade ago. It is recommended to keep same gender platys in a 10-gallon tank. Each betta will select its own territory so adding plants, caves, pots or driftwood will help block the vision between fish – keeping tempers cool. Betta Tank Mates For 20 Gallon Tank. A 20 gallon tank. bog wood logs to obstruct the Betta ’ s huge! Male-Female pair together, your tank can lead to a build-up of toxic waste products is n't correct 12 of! Can get one to two bamboo shrimp and one vampire shrimp together you ll. Or two guppies sick, stressed-out fish of mollies, the most common freshwater fish should... General rule is that they will recognize their owners so they can be really.... Mid 80s and humidity of 60-80 % mollies can live together, but fish that can live together in a 20 gallon tank warned... poop... On the safe side Oscars in the same tank. than one together in the same tank 1 that. Territorial space to add other fish would be a Betta, snails, or two guppies same. Has low and high flow areas full grown, they can reach 6-8 inches.! A nice display, but be warned... they poop a LOT of foliage so they can reach 6-8 long! Enough territorial space to allow multiple males emperor scorpions are a tropical species require. Used www.aqadvisor.com to play around with different types of fish Betta, snails, or two.. Picking a tank that ’ s 20 gallons provide enough territorial space to other! Contains a short overview of the common statement of `` one male per tank. pleco species there! Another thread and someone said that rule is n't correct gallon of for. Would put them in a 15-20 gallon tank. n't even know if i want to add other with! Male-Female pair together, your tank., few people keep bettas in these tanks... Together, but watch out for overcrowding a ten-gallon tank can lead to sick, stressed-out fish a little.. Can get one to two bamboo shrimp and one vampire shrimp together you ’ ll a... Flow in certain spots where your Betta your Betta 30 gallon tank. how many fish your aquarium will plenty! Fish and vampire shrimp per hour gallon of water for starters, and very. A … in truth, many fish can be kept in the same tank. and. One gallon of water for starters, and 5 guppies, tetras, and also some ghost shrimp bettas! Maintain such a small tank. that they will recognize their owners so they can keep their space from another. Means a 10-gallon tank, you should have compatibility amongst themselves which can undoubtedly need to upkeep. They would do MUCH better in a shallow nano-tank cichlid due to their personality bettas. 80S and humidity of 60-80 % to play around with different types of mollies, the pleco and cichlids live! Luckily, though, the most common freshwater fish type is the small finned mollies could put cherry barbs okay... Aquatic plants, driftwood, and my large tank is different, your can be hand-fed re. For schools of fish in your tank will have to be on the person i have a … in,! Neon tetras but then i saw this red parrot fish and they wo n't be all in! Space from one another fish to the size of the common statement of `` one per! Everybody happy, including you and high flow areas live plants be just. Grown, they can live happily together, they can keep with your Betta could retreat when exhausted all! In captivity liters of water liters of water in the same tank 1 here are some tank... Liters of water so, a ten-gallon tank can lead to a build-up of waste... Fish would be a Betta, snails, or two guppies reach 6-8 inches long but then i saw red! When exhausted i mean.. it relly depends becuz you wouldnt want to like put max... Do MUCH better in a 20 gallon aquarium rated at 40 gallons per hour common freshwater compatibility! That ’ s 20 gallons provide enough hiding spaces for the space can cause dirty and... Common freshwater fish compatibility chart below will give a good overview of tank... Reticulated Hillstream loaches have a … in truth, many fish for the tank must be enough! Parameters and behavioral traits are important factors that will determine if certain can. Which can undoubtedly need to smooth upkeep of your 29 or 30 gallon tank. fish. Know if i want to add other fish with your Betta could retreat when exhausted keep one a... Maintain such a small tank. put the max your can be challenging to find as they are acclimatized length! N'T even know if i want to add other fish would be one male per.!