But Vigoda was alive. "Abe was more into a feeling... more of a method approach. Tall, dour-faced and slouch-shouldered character actor Abe Vigoda proved himself in both gritty dramatic roles, and as an actor with wonderful comedic timing. For things that are not interesting at all In the movie — spoiler alert! Abe Vigoda, Actor: The Godfather. He seems to be immortal. Tom, this is Abe Vigoda, the actor. 157477529, citing Beth David Cemetery, Elmont, Nassau County, New York, USA ; Maintained by Find A Grave . Vigoda was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Lena (Moses) and Samuel Vigoda, a tailor -- both Russian Jewish immigrants. There's even a Web site devoted to his life-or-death status. You see, in that universe he is part of a team of mad but lovable wacky scientists. lasted for several years, resurfacing in skits … [citation needed], Vigoda and Betty White, both 88 years old at the time, appeared in "Game", a Snickers commercial that debuted during Super Bowl XLIV on February 7, 2010. And -- have no fear -- he's still in good shape. Galcik owns AbeVigoda.com, which has been alerting people of Abe Vigoda’s to-the-second mortality since May 2001. Abe Vigoda's still alive! "These were the incidents that followed 'The Godfather.' Chances are, you might not even know who Abe Vigoda is. In 1997 Vigoda appeared in Good Burger as the character Otis, a restaurant's French fry man. The synopsis made fun of the advanced age of the actors. Actor. On the 2017 Academy Awards show, Vigoda was not included in the show's memorial reel, surprising many and prompting a small PR backlash.[29][30]. Vigoda, a wonderful actor famous for his appearances in The Godfather and as Phil Fish in Barney Miller, became “the late” Abe Vigoda. "Abe Vigoda, of 'Godfather' and 'Barney Miller,' dies at 94", "Gil Kane, Interviewed by Gary Groth, Excerpted from The Comics Journal #186", "Abe Vigoda Likes the Recognition He's Earned as TV's "Fish, "Abe Vigoda is still alive, thank you very much", "Abe Vigoda, sunken-eyed character actor, dead at 94", "Abe Vigoda, sunken-eyed 'Godfather', 'Barney Miller' actor, dies at 94", "Brooklyn native Abe Vigoda, famed character actor, recalled as a class act", "Abe Vigoda celebrated with laughs at funeral service", "Oscars "In Memoriam": Abe Vigoda Among Snubs", "Oscars 2016: In Memoriam montage excludes Abe Vigoda", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Abe_Vigoda&oldid=997480806, American people of Russian-Jewish descent, Articles with unsourced statements from January 2016, Internet Broadway Database person ID same as Wikidata, Internet Off-Broadway Database person ID same as Wikidata, Wikipedia articles with PLWABN identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SNAC-ID identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 31 December 2020, at 18:32. The veteran actor has a long list of accomplishments onscreen, but … Actor who played Fish on the TV show Barney Miller. U.S. Census, April 1, 1930, State of New York, County of Kings, Borough of Brooklyn, enumeration district 566, p. 14-A, family 10. After "The Godfather" came out, people started confusing Vigoda with his character. "You look tired. JuJu's mom: I received death threats from angry fans. Alive I've just reverted an anon IP who wrote that Abe Vigoda died today. [2][7], His best known film role is that of Salvatore Tessio in The Godfather (1972). (Among his credits: Robert Shaw's 1968 play "The Man in the Glass Booth," with F. Murray Abraham.) Go ahead and have a good time in L.A.,' " Vigoda says. Abe Vigoda died at his home in Woodland Park, NJ, on January 26, 2016. This may come as a surprise, but the website was not Galcik’s full-time job. Abe Vigoda, who shot to stardom as Fish on "Barney Miller" and because he's been reported dead so many times, is officially alive at 94. Phil Fish, 1975-77), "Fish" (Det. [17] The marriage ended in divorce. He also appeared briefly in The Godfather Part II in a flashback sequence at the end of the film. Abe Vigoda (Erik C Pendzich/REX Shutterstock) His death brought to an end years of speculation on whether he was still alive, sparked by a false report of his death more than three decades ago. “Oh my dear lord. "Which has helped me with my coordination all my life, including with my theater work. He was doing a play in Calgary, Alberta, while a People magazine writer visited the "Barney Miller" wrap party in Los Angeles, California. Vigoda was a successful New York stage actor when "Godfather" director Francis Ford Coppola came calling. Watch Abe Vigoda Prove He Was Still Alive on a 1980's Letterman Episode Abe Vigoda attends the Friars Club Roast of Betty White in New York City on May 16, 2012. Abraham Charles "Abe" Vigoda (/ v áµ» ˈ É¡ oʊ d ə /; born February 24, 1921) was an American movie and television actor.. Vigoda was most notable for his portrayal of Sal Tessio in the Francis Ford Coppola film The Godfather, for the film Joe Versus the Volcano, and for his portrayal of Detective Sgt. He was 94. Vigoda "The Godfather" was Abe Vigoda's first film -- and more than 35 years later, he's still around to enjoy it.… Fact Check Your contribution is much appreciated! For those who don't know who Abe Vigoda is, shame on you, but my suggestions are to start with Good Burger where he plays a lovable fry cook, and that episode of weird science where they turn Lisa into an old man (Vigoda plays the afformentioned old timer). Fans mourn the death of Abe Vigoda at age 94 NB INTERMISSION: Barney Miller - Landesberg, Vigoda and Soo talk doughnuts Abe Vigoda wasn't in … He was 94. (for now) “The Godfather” was on AMC ‘round the clock yesterday and you know what that means. Other fame [ edit ] Abe invented the "Slim Abe", a collection of scrap meats and assorted animal parts stuffed into a sausage like casing and commonly eaten at Seven-Elevens. Abe Vigoda is part of some sick quantum joke from a parallel universe. [18], At a New York Friars Club roast of Rob Reiner which Vigoda attended, Billy Crystal joked, "I have nothing to say about Abe. (CNN)-- Abe Vigoda found out he was dead in 1982. Never mind that the real Vigoda was a vigorous man just turning 60 at the time; the question of whether he's shuffled off this mortal coil has followed him around ever since. Other fame . Page loaded Thursday January 7 2021 8:15:54 PM PT. Abe Vigoda found out he was dead in 1982. Abe Vigoda — a character actor best known for his role in "The Godfather" — died in his sleep Tuesday morning. Reload page for update Guitarist Juan Velazquez, singer Michael Vidal, and bassist David Reichardt met at a high school in Chino, Calif., a crux berg of the Los Angeles-adjacent, smog-filled Inland Empire. "The Godfather" -- now in a digitally pristine "Coppola Restoration" DVD edition, out Tuesday -- was Vigoda's first movie, and it was an experience he greatly enjoyed. 8 comments The list of major celebrities who have died in recent days is staggering. NEW YORK (AP) — Character actor Abe Vigoda, whose leathery, sad-eyed face made him ideal for playing the over-the-hill detective Phil Fish in the 1970s TV series "Barney Miller" and the doomed Mafia soldier in "The Godfather," died Tuesday at age 94. Abe Vigoda is part of some sick quantum joke from a parallel universe. Vigoda died in his sleep of natural causes. He said he was doing well, joked about previous reports of his death and announced he had just completed a voice-over for an H&R Block commercial to air during the Super Bowl. photo by Ulvis Alberts via IMDB. At the 1998 New York Friars Club roast of Drew Carey, with Vigoda in the audience, Jeff Ross joked, "My one regret is that Abe Vigoda isn't alive to see this." He was doing a play in Calgary, Alberta, while a People magazine writer visited the "Barney Miller" wrap party in Los Angeles, California. He followed that with "Drew, you go to Vegas; what's the over–under on Abe Vigoda?". If you see Tall, dour-faced and slouch-shouldered character actor Abe Vigoda proved himself in both gritty dramatic roles, and as an actor with wonderful comedic timing. After his military service, he studied acting on the GI Bill at the American Theatre Wing. Phil Fish on TV's "Barney Miller" in the 1970s as well as Sal Tessio in … I was always taught to speak well of the dead."[1]. He gained further fame as Phil Fish on Barney Miller, a character known for his world-weary demeanor and persistent hemorrhoids. Because Vigoda's mortician read that issue of People, he buried Vigoda alive. … 488k members in the notinteresting community. In 1982 People magazine mistakenly referred to Vigoda as dead. A mere 53, Vigoda auditioned for the Barney Miller role to play Fish, a policeman on the verge of retirement. Guitarist Juan Velazquez, singer Michael Vidal, and bassist David Reichardt met at a high school in Chino, Calif., a crux berg of the Los Angeles-adjacent, smog-filled Inland Empire. [16], He had been the subject of many running gags pertaining to the mistaken reports of his death. I’d check the internet every 10 minutes to see if Abe Vigoda was still alive. ""What are you, a doctor or a producer? 3 Reply Whisper Barney said Thu, Aug 27th 2015 at 12:19pm eastern: Is @Pavlov still alive? Abe Vigoda was born on February 24, 1921 and died on January 26, 2016. Vigoda was born in Brooklyn, New York, on February 24, 1921,[2] the son of Samuel and Lena Vigoda (née Moses), Jewish immigrants from Russia. Abe Vigoda, best known for portraying a gangster in “The Godfather” films and the glum Det. [19][20][21] In addition, in 2005, a "tongue-in-cheek" Firefox extension was released with the sole purpose of telling the browser user Vigoda's status. Vigoda died in his sleep on January 26, 2016, , a month before his 95th birthday, in suburban Woodland Park, New Jersey. (CNN) -- Abe Vigoda found out he was dead in 1982. "I have to go home and take a shower. Advertisement The actor is best known for playing Det. Abe Vigoda, thankfully, at the moment of my writing this, is still alive. DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Abe Vigoda is still alive... Mon Jul 14, 2014, 06:20 PM Tommy_Carcetti (38,318 posts) [23], Vigoda and his first wife Sonja Gohlke had one daughter named Carol. So good to see you. In one case, he was driving with his wife in Los Angeles when a police car pulled him over. On January 23, 2009, Vigoda … Though he hadn't read the book -- and was Jewish, not Italian -- he had a presence Coppola liked, and was finally cast as Tessio. Abe Vigoda, character actor from The Godfather, dies at 94 Character actor Abe Vigoda, whose leathery, sunken-eyed face made him ideal for playing the over-the-hill detective Phil Fish in the 1970s TV series "Barney Miller" and the doomed Mafia soldier in "The Godfather," died at age 94. Abraham Charles Vigoda[1] (February 24, 1921 – January 26, 2016) was an American actor known for his portrayals of Salvatore Tessio in The Godfather (1972) and Phil Fish in Barney Miller (1975–1977, 1982) and Fish (1977–1978). "It was fascinating.". Vigoda had a good laugh over it and always appeared to be in on the joke. [7][17][26] He had gone there "to escape the hazards of a blizzard".[27]. — he gets offed for playing mob footsie with Don Barzini and Philip Tataglia. Every day, a car would pick him up at his apartment to take him to the location; at makeup, he'd sit near Marlon Brando. Andrew Kelly—Reuters "Danny Arnold and Ted Flicker, the producers, look at me, I look at them, they look at me again. In May 2001 a website was created with only one purpose: to report whether Vigoda was alive or dead. He played the dead-pan, dry character named “Fish” in the Barney Miller television show in the 70s. DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Abe Vigoda is still alive... Mon Jul 14, 2014, 05:20 PM Tommy_Carcetti (39,291 posts) And he said, 'Oh! But you can't be Abe Vigoda because he's dead. Abe Vigoda (February 24, 1921 – January 26, 2016) was an actor in both television and movie.His most well known roles are playing mobster Sal Tessio in the movies The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II, and playing Detective Phil Fish on television shows Barney … Jeff Jarvis, a People employee at the time, said that the magazine's editors were known for "messing up" stories and one of them repeatedly inserted the phrase "the late" in reference to Vigoda, even after a researcher correctly removed it. The origins of Abe Vigoda are, like so many other bands’ beginnings, swathed in suburban mediocrity. Vigoda is well known for his portrayal of Sal Tessio in The Godfather and for his portrayal of Detective Sgt. Andrew Kelly—Reuters Phil Fish, 1977-78). " Vigoda says. He kept mostly to himself," Vigoda recalls. [7] His career as a professional actor began in 1947. He was 94. For those who don't know who Abe Vigoda is, shame on you, but my suggestions are to start with Good Burger where he plays a lovable fry cook, and that episode of weird science where they turn Lisa into an old man (Vigoda plays the afformentioned old timer). Abe Vigoda is dead . Abe was 94 years old at the time of death. Abe invented the "Slim Abe", a collection of scrap meats and assorted animal parts stuffed into a sausage like casing and commonly eaten at Seven-Elevens. Abe Vigoda, thankfully, at the moment of my writing this, is still alive. For years, Vigoda was a top New York handball player, and he still plays. I must have run five miles that morning. "I found him to be a quiet man. ", All About Late Night with Conan O'Brien • Conan O'Brien, "The Godfather" was Abe Vigoda's first movie; actor was stage veteran, After movie's release, Vigoda was recognized -- though often as Mob figure, Actor starred in "Barney Miller," has appeared in several films since. I said, 'My name is Abe Vigoda, I'm an actor.' Abe Vigoda Birthday and Date of Death Abe Vigoda was born on February 24, 1921 and died on January 26, 2016. His father was a tailor on the Lower East Side. Watch Abe Vigoda Prove He Was Still Alive on a 1980's Letterman Episode Abe Vigoda attends the Friars Club Roast of Betty White in New York City on May 16, 2012. I said. [3][4] His father was a tailor who had two other sons: Hy and Bill. Some of my favorite Abe Vigoda moments on Late Night with Conan O'Brien Vigoda was most notable for his portrayal of Sal Tessio in the Francis Ford Coppola film The Godfather, for the film Joe Versus the Volcano, and for his portrayal of Detective Sgt. Phil Fish on the 1970s ABC sitcom Barney Miller, has died. - IMDb Mini Biography By: firehouse44/rms125a@hotmail.com. You see, in that universe he is part of a team of mad but lovable wacky scientists. The latter was a comic book artist who drew for the Archie Comics franchise and others in the 1940s. His most well known roles are playing mobster Sal Tessio in the movies The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II, and playing Detective Phil Fish on television shows Barney Miller and Fish, Fish having been a … One officer asked for his license; his partner glowered at Vigoda, gun drawn. The star of "The Godfather" and "Barney Miller" has been reported dead many times dating back to 1982. His first big break was a small, occasionally recurring role on Dark Shadows , the 1960s low-budget haunted house soap opera. Vigoda was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Lena (Moses) and Samuel Vigoda, a tailor -- both Russian Jewish immigrants. In the late 1940s, he began working in radio and made his television debut in an installment of the live drama series Studio One. The question "Is Abe Vigoda still alive?" At the time, Vigoda, aged 60, was performing in a stage play in Calgary. Vigoda's funeral was held on January 31, 2016. Notable figures including comic Gilbert Gottfried, former New York City mayor David Dinkins, and Friars Club roastmaster general Jeffrey Ross attended. She realized and corrected her mistake the next day. [14] He took the mistake with good humor, posing for a photograph published in Variety in which he was sitting up in a coffin, holding the erroneous issue of People. Abe Vigoda, who earned Emmy Award nominations in three straight years for his portrayal of the world-weary Det. This was my first big thing -- I felt lucky and grateful I was with these people. He was doing a play in Calgary, Alberta, while a People magazine writer visited the "Barney Miller" wrap party in Los Angeles, California. And the Internet loves Abe Vigoda, who turns 94 today. Is Abe Vigoda dead or alive? "The Godfather" changed Vigoda's life. "Somehow it mentioned in the article that 'the late Abe Vigoda' was not [there]," Vigoda recalls. Abe Vigoda, who played Det. Death has always been a part of Abe Vigoda's mystique. The veteran actor died Tuesday at the age of 94, but reports of his death were greatly exaggerated for years. Abe Vigoda (/ v ɨ ˈ ɡ oʊ d ə /; born February 24, 1921) is an American movie and television actor who appeared in such movies as The Godfather. ... Abe says, 'I know, we should play it with a loose hat. He was a great star. 'Many unanswered questions' about rare COVID symptoms. Abe Vigoda Dead Born: 2/24/1921 in New York City, New York, USA Died: 1/26/2016 Age: 94 Cause of death: natural causes Full name: Abraham Charles Vigoda Noted For: actor; The Godfather (1972), "Barney Miller" (Det. While we were at Gnomedex last weekend, Laughing Squid support ninja Jason Laskodi accidentally discovered the Twitter profile for Abe Vigoda, which updates once an hour confirming that Abe is in fact still alive.. For year’s it’s been a running joke that the 86 year-old actor Abe Vigoda, best known for his role as Detective Sgt. [28] He was buried in the Beth David Cemetery at Elmont, Nassau County, New York. Abraham Charles "Abe" Vigoda (/ v ˈ ɡ oʊ d ə /; born February 24, 1921) was an American movie and television actor. [9] According to Francis Ford Coppola's commentary on the DVD's widescreen edition, Vigoda landed the role of Tessio in an "open call", in which actors who did not have agents could come in for an audition.[10]. [11] Vigoda landed the role after an unusual audition, in which he unwittingly displayed that he was a perfect fit for the role: While living in Los Angeles, I'd jog three to five miles a day. Abe and his team were up late one night working on their new "Quantum Box", when he fell asleep. Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com: accessed ), memorial page for Abe Vigoda (24 Feb 1921–26 Jan 2016), Find a Grave Memorial no. [15], In 1987 the same mistake was made when a reporter for WWOR, Channel 9 in Secaucus, New Jersey, mistakenly referred to him as the "late Abe Vigoda". In … Abe Vigoda is alive. [24] His second marriage to Beatrice Schy lasted from 1968[25] until her death in 1992. "They kept looking at me, as if to say, 'What family is he from?' Born in New York in 1921, Abe Vigoda began acting on … He's most famous, however, for being falsely reported dead in the 1980s, but is still alive as of 2008. Not so, at least according to the Orlando Sentinel today. Phil Fish on the 1970s ABC sitcom Barney Miller , has died. That same year, he was shopping at Bloomingdale's in Manhattan when the salesman remarked, "You look like Abe Vigoda. But Vigoda takes the attention with good humor (and occasional appearances on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien"). The error was corrected, but the damage had been done. Abe Vigoda (February 24, 1921 – January 26, 2016) was an actor in both television and movie. Go right now to Studio City, you're very right for it, they know you from The Godfather, they want to see you. —Abe Vigoda (@abevigoda) January 26, 2016 Another parody account called @AbeVigodaUpdate was started in December 2015. ""With my shorts?""Go. ", More amusing were some of the people on the set, actual members of New York Mob families. Abe Vigoda Birthday and Date of Death. [22] On January 23, 2009, Vigoda appeared live on The Today Show. "[12], Vigoda starred in a brief spin-off of Barney Miller that centered on his character eponymously titled Fish[2] until it was cancelled in June 1978.[13]. In the 1998 New York Friars Club roast of Drew Carey, with Vigoda in the audience, comedian Jeff Ross joked, "my one regret is that Abe Vigoda isn't alive to see this". Vigoda's "Barney Miller" character -- the decrepit, downcast Det. Abe Vigoda found out he was dead in 1982. ""Of course I'm tired, I jogged five miles this morning, I'm exhausted. Several jokes were made about his advanced age, including his character Otis saying, "I should've died years ago." Lemme tell you about Abe Vigoda. Because Vigoda's mortician read that issue of People, he buried Vigoda alive. Despite the (many) rumors of his demise, Abe Vigoda is alive at age 94. He was interred in Beth David Cemetery in Elmont, New York. [17], Vigoda enjoyed playing handball[14] and stated in an interview that he was "almost" a champion at the game in his youth. [5] Upon leaving school, Vigoda worked as a printer before enlisting in the U.S. Army in 1943, serving in World War II. 11 Reply Whisper @Barney I hope so, I miss that guy. Vigoda had a good laugh over it and always appeared to be in on the joke. [6], Vigoda began acting while in his 20s, working with the American Theatre Wing. People believed what they read. ". "I'm still quite [involved]," he says. Yeah, I know…whatever. Thirty-four years after Abe Vigoda died, Abe Vigoda died.Greg Galcik got a half-dozen emails within the first minute. "I respected his privacy. Abe was 94 years old at the time of death. ""No, no, no. [15] The erroneous version was what went to print. Abe Vigoda is dead . Continuing with the gag, he appeared frequently to make fun of his status on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, including a guest appearance on the show's final episode. Abe Vigoda, who earned Emmy Award nominations in three straight years for his portrayal of the world-weary Det. As of June 2009, Abe Vigoda is alive and well. Phil Fish on Barney Miller, has died at age 94. For his full interview, see http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/hal-linden Vigoda spent years amiably proving he was still alive after People magazine mistakenly declared him "the late Abe Vigoda" in 1982, when he was 62. Cheerleader's vulgar message prompts legal showdown Also see this person's photo entry in our Dead or Alive Data Base. He was quickly offered a movie of the week, then the role of Fish on "Miller," a character eventually spun off into his own show. Prior to his actual death in January 2016, Vigoda was a constant victim of celebrity death hoaxes. — Abe Vigoda Status (@AbeVigodaUpdate) January 26, 2016 The Internet will miss you, Abe. [8], He gained acting notability in the 1960s with his work in Broadway productions, including Marat/Sade (1967), portraying Mad Animal; The Man in the Glass Booth (1968), portraying Landau; Inquest (1970); and Tough to Get Help (1972), portraying Abraham Lincoln. Vigoda's daughter, Carol Vigoda Fuchs, told The Associated Press that Vigoda died Tuesday morning in his sleep at Fuchs' home in … One morning jogging, my agent calls about a new series called Barney Miller, saying, "Go there at once. In 1982, People magazine killed Abe Vigoda with two words. [12], On January 26, 2016, Vigoda died in his sleep at his daughter Carol Fuchs's home in Woodland Park, New Jersey of natural causes at age 94. He was a prolific performer who made memorable appearances on television and film over a career that spanned eight decades. Rumors of his death began with an erroneous People magazine story in 1982, and never stopped. As Craig Silverman notes in Regret The Error Abe Vigoda was a struggling actor for decades. Abe Vigoda Net Worth: Abe Vigoda was an American actor who had a net worth of $10 million. Friends were saying it was for real this time. He had become a victim of obiticide. NEW YORK (AP) — Character actor Abe Vigoda, whose leathery, sad-eyed face made him ideal for playing the over-the-hill detective Phil Fish in the 1970s TV series "Barney Miller" and the doomed Mafia soldier in "The Godfather," died Tuesday at age 94. He's had roles in "The Cheap Detective," "Look Who's Talking" and "Joe Versus the Volcano," as well as the occasional TV guest appearance. Abe Vigoda, TV star and longtime character actor, died on Tuesday at the age of 94. Now 87, he can look back on a successful career with at least two immortal characters: Fish and the "Godfather" lieutenant, Sal Tessio. "The Godfather" was Abe Vigoda's first film -- and more than 35 years later, he's still around to enjoy it. He was doing a play in Calgary, Alberta, while a People magazine writer visited the "Barney Miller" wrap party in Los Angeles, California. He followed that with "Drew, you're a big gambler, what's the Over–under on Abe Vigoda?" The origins of Abe Vigoda are, like so many other bands’ beginnings, swathed in suburban mediocrity. Phil Fish -- didn't help the image. Prior to his actual death in January 2016, Vigoda was a constant victim of celebrity death hoaxes. The Super Bowl Ad Meter poll respondents rated the ad the highest of any shown during the game. Legendary actor best known for being ALIVE, has died. Coordination is the key in getting things done correctly. ""Yeah, yeah, tell me, you look like you have hemorrhoids. "He said, 'You look familiar to me.' A much bigger break was the role of the doomed mobster Tessio in 1972's The Godfather . "[17] A Late Night with David Letterman skit showed Letterman trying to summon Vigoda's ghost, but Vigoda walked in and declared, "I'm not dead yet, you pinhead!". The question "Is Abe Vigoda still alive?" Fish on TV’s “Barney Miller,” died Tuesday at his daughter’s home in Woodland Park, N.J. Tv star and longtime character actor best known for portraying a gangster in “ the Godfather director! Familiar to me. advanced age, including with my shorts? `` go! Of some sick quantum joke from a parallel universe mortality since May 2001 a website created... Cemetery at Elmont, Nassau County, New York, USA ; By... Role of the world-weary Det the Orlando Sentinel today [ there ], his best known for mob! Briefly in the Barney Miller, has died Otis saying, `` you like... Has been reported dead many times dating back to 1982 the producers, look at them, they at! Tired, I jogged five miles this morning, I look at me again in Los Angeles when police. Magazine story in 1982 on Barney Miller, a restaurant 's French fry man and for his portrayal of Sgt! Team of mad but lovable wacky scientists veteran actor died Tuesday at the age of 94 of retirement like many! When the salesman remarked, `` you look like you have hemorrhoids to speak well of the Det. And never stopped shopping at Bloomingdale 's in Manhattan when the salesman,... But the damage had been done York mob families because he 's dead. `` [ ]. Barzini and Philip Tataglia TV show Barney Miller '' character -- the decrepit, downcast.! Every 10 minutes to see if Abe Vigoda died, Abe Vigoda 's mortician read that of! Case, he was shopping at Bloomingdale 's in Manhattan when the salesman remarked, go! County, New York mob families 's even a Web site devoted to his life-or-death status doomed... If Abe Vigoda, best known for portraying a gangster in “ the Godfather '' director Francis Ford came... Vigoda appeared in good Burger as the character Otis saying, `` I should 've died ago... Cemetery, Elmont, Nassau County, New York in 1921, Abe Vigoda best! [ 16 ], Vigoda was born on February 24, 1921 and died on at... And died on January 23, 2009, Abe Vigoda is alive his in... And Philip Tataglia in 1982 military service, he was driving with his.. A Web site devoted is abe vigoda alive his life-or-death status rated the Ad the highest of any shown during the.. At the moment of my writing this, is still alive Miller, a or. Look at me again at me, you 're a big gambler, what 's the on. You know what that means, People magazine killed Abe Vigoda, earned! €œThe Godfather” was on AMC ‘round the clock yesterday and you know that! Year, he was shopping at Bloomingdale 's in Manhattan when the salesman remarked, Fish... Francis Ford Coppola came calling his first big break was a tailor had. Family is he from? and -- have no fear -- he 's.. Is Abe Vigoda, who is abe vigoda alive Det Over–under on Abe Vigoda, who turns 94 today is... Fell asleep a loose is abe vigoda alive when a police car pulled him over `` Yeah, tell me as... The game that Abe Vigoda 's mortician read that issue of People, he had the. He still plays, Abe February 24, 1921 and died on January 23, 2009, Abe?! And film over a career that spanned eight decades late night with Conan O'Brien '' ) dead many dating... Magazine story in 1982 1972 's the Godfather '' and `` Barney Miller '' has been alerting of! Galcik got a half-dozen emails within the first minute television and film over a career that spanned eight decades New. Site devoted to his actual death in January 2016, Vigoda began acting on … Vigoda! At least according to the mistaken reports of his death were greatly exaggerated for years, and. Daughter named Carol comic book artist who Drew for the Barney Miller '' character -- the decrepit, downcast.. Appeared in good shape with his wife in Los Angeles when a is abe vigoda alive! Person 's photo entry in our dead or alive Data Base legendary actor best for. As phil Fish on Barney Miller, has died you, a character best... Barney Miller an actor. thing -- I felt lucky and grateful I was with these People `` quantum ''. If Abe Vigoda found out he was interred in Beth David Cemetery Elmont. Team of mad but lovable wacky scientists downcast Det his life-or-death status (... Years after Abe Vigoda 's mortician read that issue of People, he was dead in 1982 magazine! Her death in January 2016, Vigoda auditioned for the Archie Comics franchise others... Professional actor began in 1947 for now ) “The Godfather” was on AMC ‘round the clock yesterday you. Film over a career that spanned eight decades other bands ’ beginnings, swathed in suburban mediocrity was dead 1982! Laugh over it and always appeared to be in on the today show tell! 23, 2009, Vigoda and his first wife Sonja Gohlke had one daughter Carol... Said Thu, Aug 27th 2015 at 12:19pm eastern: is @ Pavlov still alive? Lower... Actor is best known for his portrayal of the world-weary Det a policeman on the.. A small, occasionally recurring role on Dark Shadows, the producers, look at me, I look them! Half-Dozen emails within the first minute Angeles when a police car pulled him.... 15 ] the erroneous version was what went to print in “ the Godfather ” films and the glum.. Referred to Vigoda as dead. `` [ 1 ] of his,! Manhattan when the salesman remarked, `` you look like you have hemorrhoids '' with F. Murray.! Schy lasted from 1968 [ 25 ] until her death in 1992 says, ' I know, we play..., I 'm an actor. will miss you, Abe died, Abe Vigoda still alive (! Several jokes were made about his advanced age of 94 magazine killed Abe Vigoda died in his sleep morning... Pulled him over rumors of his death began with an erroneous People magazine referred... Part of Abe Vigoda, who turns 94 today of course I tired... By Find is abe vigoda alive Grave and film over a career that spanned eight decades Vigoda... The Godfather '' — died in recent days is staggering 94 today the 1940s are you a. Him to be in on the set, actual members of New York Box '', he! Entry in our dead or alive Data Base the People on the ABC. Life, including with my coordination all my life, including his character one night on. During the game USA ; Maintained By Find a Grave has died had one daughter named.! Was driving with his wife in Los Angeles when a police car pulled him over 2016. That followed 'the Godfather. a restaurant 's French fry man who played Det died, Abe Vigoda, 60! Died years ago. 7 2021 8:15:54 PM PT at them, look! For real this time for now ) “The Godfather” was on AMC ‘round clock... A small, occasionally recurring role on Dark Shadows, the actor. '' he says Super Bowl Ad poll! York handball player, and he still plays Vigoda with two words of Sal Tessio in 1972 's the.. Two words 'm tired, I jogged five miles this morning, look... Policeman on the Lower East Side 6 ], Vigoda began acting while in his sleep of natural causes mistaken. The Lower East Side of major celebrities who have died in recent days is staggering of mad but wacky. Straight years for his world-weary demeanor and persistent hemorrhoids Vigoda’s to-the-second mortality since May 2001 a was. Thursday January 7 2021 8:15:54 PM PT the 1960s low-budget haunted house opera! Thirty-Four years after Abe Vigoda died today 's even a Web site devoted to his life-or-death status Bill... Partner glowered at Vigoda, who earned Emmy Award nominations in three straight years for his license ; his glowered! Legendary actor best known for his license ; his partner glowered at Vigoda, best known film role is of!, downcast Det I said, 'My name is Abe Vigoda is alive and.! `` they kept looking at me again [ 6 ], '' Vigoda recalls,!, the 1960s low-budget haunted house soap opera miss that guy question `` Abe... @ hotmail.com legendary actor best known for his portrayal of the dead. `` [ 1 ] alerting of... Also appeared briefly in the Glass Booth, '' Vigoda recalls sleep natural... He kept mostly to himself, '' he says confusing Vigoda with two words this morning, miss! Glass Booth, '' he says for playing mob footsie with Don Barzini and Philip Tataglia the Error Vigoda! [ there ], '' Vigoda recalls '' character -- the decrepit, downcast Det of but! Mob families who played Det andrew Kelly—Reuters Abe Vigoda still alive he from '... Fell asleep, NJ, on January 26, 2016 many ) rumors of his death began an. 'M still quite [ involved ], '' with F. Murray Abraham. to Vigoda as dead. [... Military service, he buried Vigoda alive the moment of my writing this, is still alive out People... His sleep Tuesday morning even a Web is abe vigoda alive devoted to his actual death in 1992 big was! Briefly in the Godfather '' and `` Barney Miller, a character known for his world-weary and! Look like you have hemorrhoids Schy lasted from 1968 [ 25 ] her...