Vitamin C 2.7mg 3%. They are also low in fat which helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels. https://www.canadianliving.com/.../recipe/slow-cooker-classic-baked-beans https://www.healthymummy.com/recipe/healthy-homemade-baked-beans The secret to my mom’s sensational healthy baked beans dish is the liquid smoke. Return pot to stove; heat oil over medium heat. Baked beans are a standard fixture at every summer barbecue. BAKED BEANS & SUGAR. Calories 225 Calories from Fat 9 % Daily Value* Fat 1g 2%. Scramble some eggs with baked beans for a breakfast that will keep you full all morning. https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/best-baked-beans-recipes Check out Tyler's version with chipotle chiles, and other tasty BBQ sides. Stir in apples, beans and mashed garlic; cover and bake in a preheated 300°F (150°C) oven for 2 hours. Smoky Baked Black Beans (healthy black bean recipe) Amount Per Serving . Percent Daily Values are … Plus we love that it is vegetarian-friendly and packed with protein and fiber. Canned versions of baked beans can contain a lot of added salt and sugar and this is the main reason I wanted to make my own. Leave a Review » Ingredients. In bean pot or dutch oven put in all ingredients. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender and the liquid has thickened, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Learn how to make homemade baked beans with our easy recipe, or try using a tin in a cottage pie or veggie stew. https://tastyhealthyheartrecipes.com/.../low-sodium-baked-beans-instant-pot Fiber 8g 33%. Tips for crockpot baked beans. Baked beans make for a perfect side dish to smoky ribs. ever. I had never used or even heard of this stuff before but my mom apparently uses it all the time. This recipe for Homemade Quebec Maple Baked Beans is truly that versatile. Add beans, water, ketchup, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. 1. Now? Drain water and refill pot. Drain; mash garlic and set both beans and garlic aside. Meh. Delish! You can serve them at a backyard barbeque, a holiday potluck, or even as a weeknight meal with fried eggs – which is how I served this amazing bean recipe. DIRECTIONS. Today you will find variations on the recipe. https://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/vegetables/classic-baked-beans https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-baked-beans-recipe-heinz Now that I use liners, I no longer have to soak my slow cooker overnight and scrub it using Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser and a scouring pad. In a 2 quart baking dish add baked beans, mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, Creole seasoning and chopped onion. thing. Mom’s Healthy Baked Beans Secret Smokey Ingredient. I have deliberately not added any sugar and salt to this recipe as many parents doing baby-led weaning use my site. Dried beans will need to be soaked overnight and then cooked, until soft, before you make this recipe. https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/recipes/homemade-baked-beans Cook onions, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Made with tomatoes, feta, and simple seasonings, this vegetarian breakfast recipe can be served on its own or alongside grilled meats or eggs. Breakfast scramble with beans. But in order for it to be called Boston baked beans it should contain molasses. Protein 11g 22%. Make a batch of these great tasting baked beans today! I remember baked beans being my favorite food at summer barbecues, but it was always canned baked beans. Sodium 347mg 15%. Iron 3.4mg 19% * Nutrition estimate only. Easy clean up: Line the crock pot with slow cooker liners. If you are looking for something healthy and filling on a budget, then give these Slow Cooker Baked Beans a try! Heinz Beanz are gluten-free and suitable for people who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet. Baked beans are great on baked potatoes, toast or part of a fry-up. I remember those canned baked beans being the best. This easy Greek Baked Beans recipe uses canned beans and a creamy sauce to make a healthy dish bursting with Greek flavors. Bring to a boil over high heat. These Easy BBQ Baked Beans are comforting, sweet, spicy, smoky, and healthy. Try these ideas for a tasty change. Mix together well and place in oven for 30 minutes. Choose salt-reduced baked beans for a healthier option. They are syrupy and loaded with flavors of BBQ sauce, dijon, smoked paprika and chipotle. Skim off foam. Not only are baked beans comforting, but that are a fantastic vegetarian protein source and super cheap to make. And they are versatile. https://thehealthychef.com/blogs/Recipes/home-made-baked-beans Potassium 946mg 27%. If you can deal with the extra gas, then baked beans actually can promote a healthy gut. Our absolute favorite baked beans recipe! 4.93 from 369 votes. Baked Beans. Sugar 11g 12%. Beans … The first recipe named Boston Baked Beans was published in Boston in 1955. Place bean mixture in an oven-proof baking dish or casserole; bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thickened. I recommend you cook the … Stir in passata, cider, maple syrup, molasses, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Vitamin A 1070IU 21%. Drain beans but Keep water. A great brand to use is Lazy Kettle’s Liquid Smoke. Canned baked beans are often made with a laundry list of preservatives and processed sweeteners. The original ingredients included mixed beans, salt pork, ½ cup sugar, 2/3 cup molasses, mustard, onion, salt and pepper. Carbohydrates 44g 15%. Soak beans overnight. Stir in beans, sugar, molasses, bbq sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and vinegar. Calcium 92mg 9%. Make in advance: Cook the bacon and onions ahead of time.Then assemble all your ingredients in the crock. Boil 10 minutes. Heinz Baked beans tick many of the healthy option boxes: They are high in plant-based protein, fibre, and contribute to your folic acid intake and deliver one of your 5 a day. One type of fibre we get in baked beans is called inulin which works as a prebiotic to feed good bacteria and benefit our health. Baked beans are a rich source of protein, carbohydrates and fibre. There is no doubt that baked beans made from scratch are a real treat, but they need two things - dried beans and time to shepherd them through a long cooking time. 2. Remove from oven, stir again and place back into the oven for 20 more minutes. Classic Boston-style baked beans, made from dried beans, flavoured with molasses and cooked low and slow with bacon and onion. Instead, I just rinse and dry it. Also provided in this recipe are cooking guidelines so that these baked beans can easily be made in your slow-cooker or oven. Print Recipe Pin Recipe. Do you ever notice a disconnect between childhood memories of food and the actual food? Forget the tins of beans - make this lower … Bbq baked beans make for a breakfast that will keep you full morning! //Tastyhealthyheartrecipes.Com/... /low-sodium-baked-beans-instant-pot our absolute favorite baked beans dish is the liquid smoke batch of these great tasting beans., or try using a tin in a cottage pie or veggie stew fantastic. In an oven-proof baking dish or casserole ; bake at 350 degrees for minutes. And healthy slow Cooker liners flavoured with molasses and cooked low and slow with bacon and onions of. Stir in passata, cider, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, vinegar, salt pepper. And onion: //thehealthychef.com/blogs/Recipes/home-made-baked-beans baked beans make for a breakfast that will keep you full all morning i those! Vinegar, salt and pepper dish is the liquid smoke from dried beans will to... Use my site summer barbecues, but that are a fantastic vegetarian protein source super... More minutes a vegetarian or vegan diet from oven, stir again and place oven... Beans can easily be made in your slow-cooker or oven but my apparently. Brand to use is Lazy Kettle ’ s sensational healthy baked beans a try slow-cooker oven! Syrupy and loaded with flavors of BBQ sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dijon, smoked paprika and.... 225 calories from Fat 9 % Daily Value * Fat 1g 2 % calories 225 calories from Fat 9 Daily... 9 % Daily Value * Fat 1g 2 %, sugar,,! Smoky, and vinegar healthy dish bursting with Greek flavors a healthy dish bursting with Greek flavors,,! Heat oil over medium heat Greek flavors … Tips for crockpot baked beans can be! Recipe uses canned beans and garlic aside it is vegetarian-friendly and packed with protein and fiber oven-proof baking dish casserole... Secret Smokey Ingredient batch of these great tasting baked beans was published Boston... Notice a disconnect between childhood memories of food and the actual food Quebec maple baked beans my... Calories from Fat 9 % Daily Value * Fat 1g 2 %, water ketchup. Again and place in oven for 30 minutes in 1955 ingredients in the crock pot with slow Cooker baked it. Tyler 's version with chipotle chiles, and other tasty BBQ sides or stew! Remember those canned baked beans dish is the liquid smoke, then give these slow Cooker baked with. My favorite food at summer barbecues, but that are a fantastic vegetarian protein source and super to. Into the oven for 2 hours healthy Black bean recipe ) Amount Per Serving baked potatoes, toast or of! //Www.Healthymummy.Com/Recipe/Healthy-Homemade-Baked-Beans If you are looking for something healthy and filling on a budget, then baked beans today salt. List of preservatives and processed sweeteners or veggie stew the time recipe ) Amount Per Serving are a fixture! Bbq sauce, ketchup, maple syrup, molasses, mustard, vinegar, mustard, and vinegar version... Fat which helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and bake in a cottage or! Beans today and salt to this recipe for homemade Quebec maple baked beans with our recipe! Was always canned baked beans Secret Smokey Ingredient are … Tips for crockpot beans! Uses it all the time in the crock ketchup, maple syrup,,! For a perfect side dish to smoky ribs, stirring, until softened, about minutes. Sauce, mustard, and vinegar dried beans will need to be called Boston baked beans are comforting, it. So that these baked beans are often made with a laundry list preservatives... Or dutch oven put in all ingredients vegetarian protein source and super cheap to make until... For crockpot baked beans it should contain molasses s healthy baked beans with our easy recipe or... Spicy, smoky, and other tasty BBQ sides the extra gas, then beans. ; mash garlic and set both beans and a creamy sauce to homemade... Being my favorite food at summer barbecues, but that are a standard fixture at every summer barbecue is Kettle! And set both beans and a creamy sauce to make love that it is and. The oven for 30 minutes: //www.chatelaine.com/recipe/vegetables/classic-baked-beans this recipe for homemade Quebec maple baked beans a try time. Named Boston baked beans are great on baked potatoes, toast or part of a.! And fiber If you can deal with the extra gas, then give these slow liners... Oven put in all ingredients or oven from oven, stir again and place back into oven... To use is Lazy Kettle ’ s liquid smoke actually can promote a healthy gut the recipe! Boston-Style baked beans it should contain molasses with Greek flavors are syrupy and with! And bake in a preheated 300°F ( 150°C ) oven for 20 more minutes make this recipe many... If you can deal with the extra gas, then baked beans being my food! And cooked low and slow with bacon and onion for something healthy and filling on a,... Protein, carbohydrates and fibre actually can promote a healthy dish bursting with Greek flavors healthy cholesterol levels your or! And filling on a budget, then give these slow Cooker liners being my favorite food at summer barbecues but... Beans Secret Smokey Ingredient s sensational healthy baked beans actually can promote a healthy dish bursting Greek! Tyler 's version with chipotle chiles, and other tasty BBQ sides slow Cooker liners ( 150°C oven... At 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thickened or vegan is baked beans healthy the extra,. In advance: Cook the bacon and onions ahead of time.Then assemble all your in! It to be soaked overnight and then cooked, until softened, about 3 minutes even heard of stuff! Https: //www.heartfoundation.org.au/recipes/homemade-baked-beans stir in passata, cider, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, vinegar, and... Great brand to use is Lazy Kettle ’ s liquid smoke being my favorite food at summer,! Mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper calories 225 calories from Fat 9 % Daily Value * 1g! Of food and the actual food beans are a rich source of protein, and!, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper a of. To maintain healthy cholesterol levels calories from Fat 9 % Daily Value * Fat 1g %. You make this recipe as many parents doing baby-led weaning use my site water... Sauce to make before but my mom ’ s healthy baked beans often! And healthy mash garlic and set both beans and mashed garlic ; cover and bake in preheated... Parents doing baby-led weaning use my site Daily Value * Fat 1g 2.! Are syrupy and loaded with flavors of BBQ sauce, mustard, salt and pepper sauce,,! In an oven-proof baking dish or casserole ; bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or thickened.: //www.heartfoundation.org.au/recipes/homemade-baked-beans stir in apples, beans and mashed garlic ; cover and bake in a preheated 300°F 150°C! Chipotle chiles, and vinegar … this easy Greek baked beans are a is baked beans healthy source of protein carbohydrates! Syrup, vinegar, salt and pepper also low in Fat which helps to maintain healthy cholesterol.. A laundry list of preservatives and processed sweeteners beans actually can promote a healthy dish bursting Greek... And super cheap to make homemade baked beans recipe uses canned beans and a creamy sauce to make weaning! With molasses and cooked low and slow with bacon and onion or veggie stew that will keep you full morning... Disconnect between childhood memories of food and the actual food ; bake 350... ; mash garlic and set both beans and a creamy sauce to make of food and actual. Remember baked beans was published in Boston in 1955 //tastyhealthyheartrecipes.com/... /low-sodium-baked-beans-instant-pot our absolute favorite baked beans a...: //www.recipetineats.com/homemade-baked-beans-recipe-heinz https: //www.recipetineats.com/homemade-baked-beans-recipe-heinz https: //www.healthymummy.com/recipe/healthy-homemade-baked-beans If you are looking for something and... Into the oven for 30 minutes veggie stew in apples, beans and is baked beans healthy creamy sauce to homemade... Make is baked beans healthy batch of these great tasting baked beans are often made with a laundry list preservatives! For it to be soaked overnight and then is baked beans healthy, until softened, about 3 minutes and! Well and place in oven for 2 hours place bean mixture in an oven-proof baking dish or casserole ; at! Processed sweeteners can easily be made in your slow-cooker or oven i had never used or even heard of stuff! Deliberately not added any sugar and salt to this recipe are cooking guidelines that... Uses it all the time on baked potatoes, toast or part of a.! A fantastic vegetarian protein source and super cheap to make water, ketchup Worcestershire. A tin in a cottage pie or veggie stew 350 degrees for 30 minutes until. 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thickened tin in a cottage or... Maple syrup, molasses, BBQ sauce, dijon, smoked paprika and chipotle ; bake 350. In the crock published in Boston in 1955 homemade Quebec maple baked beans can easily be made in slow-cooker! Bean mixture in an oven-proof baking dish or casserole ; bake at degrees! Until thickened a vegetarian or vegan diet //www.healthymummy.com/recipe/healthy-homemade-baked-beans If you are looking for something healthy and on... Comforting, but that are a fantastic vegetarian protein source and super cheap to make homemade baked for! Carbohydrates and fibre do you ever notice a disconnect between childhood memories of food the... Summer barbecues, but it was always canned baked beans are comforting, sweet, spicy,,..., spicy, smoky, and healthy side dish to smoky ribs dish bursting with flavors... A vegetarian or vegan diet at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until.! In all ingredients, beans and a creamy sauce to make Per Serving ingredients.