The car has been out of commission for 55 days altogether since it's purchase in January this year due to the fluid leak which seems to be more of coolant than anything else. Vehicle jerks and shudders on acceleration from stops. Engine coolant circulates through your engine to keep it cool in the summer but won't freeze in the winter. While inspecting the vehicle, it was discovered that coolant had leaked onto the engine from the coolant reserve bottle. It also has had electrical problems with starting as well as the radio clock and presets all resetting after sitting for more than 24 hours. Average failure mileage is 26,650 miles. As I researched I've found forums that stated that it was common. But only the rs series had a recall and not the standard. Ford focus 04 1.8 petrol 50k. statistics and reliability analysis of Ford Focus based on all problems reported for the Focus. Failure Date: 07/23/2012. The 2012 Ford Focus has 8 problems reported for water leaking into vehicle. Bad seal on the cap could allow it to spew coolant at any time, and possibly allow overheating as well since the system wouldn't pressurize properly. Coolant leak and engine overheating. If having the work done at a garage, they will more than likely result to dismantling the entire dashboard and replacing the heater pipes and/or matrix resulting in a very large cost mainly due to the labour involved (£400 plus I read people were getting quoted). Dilution levels need to be within a overt percentage fluctuate or your 2012 Ford Focus engine components can start to rust, break, or become irreparably damaged. Ford Focus - Heater matrix pipe joint leak. statistics and reliability analysis of Ford Focus, Gas Recirculation Valve (egr Valve) problems. 1. my 2012 Ford Focus is stalling out and revving up at high rpms then stalling out for the last 4 months. After they did some test they said that my engine has blown due to the head gasket warped and the cylinders warped which caused coolant to leak into my engine. Car is still losing coolant but albeit at a slow rate, so I've got her booked in to the mechanics a week today. When we went to collect it, we were told it was suffering from a major coolant leak, to the extent that they filled it up when they spotted it and as soon as they put the system under pressure it drained out again. Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost 31/01/2013 62 plate .. Had heat loss from heater no change in tempiture gauge.. stopped car phoned garage advised not to drive . My cousin (Dealership Mechanic) replaced the hose for me. the 1.6 L ecoboost engine is well know for having issues with weak castings of the cylinder head, that would micro crack. Vehicle has had a red fluid leak for quite some time. What happens if my 2012 Ford Focus runs out of coolant? I have had to have the sunroof resales after it had leaked for over two months and the dealership wasn't able to find the leak. You'll need to open the hood to see this on top of the radiator. The manufacturer was notified who offered no further assistance. Only had two incidents of this,of course I've always chose to push the button to save the starter. Performed an internet search for the problem. Adding engine coolant (also known as antifreeze) to your 2012 Ford Focus is pretty easy. The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. I checked it out and noticed a redish tint to the liquid and opened my hood. Focus Ecoboost 1.6l cars, were sold in my country in very small numbers but i already know about 3 cars with same problem under 45k Km. The degas hose, coolant reservoir and leaking waterpump are pretty easy to fix. But if it's the same components then why am I told only the rs should have the recall? 2012 Ford Focus - Coolant leak So I came home after a weekend away and noticed a puddle in the front passenger side of my focus (edit: outside my car). So I have topped it up and will keep and eye on it. They said there was certainly a problem with the water … The 1.6 is a similar engine. My cousin (Dealership Mechanic) replaced the hose for me. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more! Phone Fod Assistance .. coolant leak … Come join the discussion about SVT performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Ford said that my car should have overheated or had warning signs appear. Some 2012-2013 Focus vehicles built on or before 11/12/2012 may exhibit wet carpet on the passenger-side front foot well. if they found coolant on one piston it could be 1 of 2 a head gasket or a cracked head either way the only way to be sure is to pull the head a major job, check for warpage, then magnaflux the head to look for the possibility of cracks. Coolant can leak from the reservoir or from the hoses, in 2013 Focuss with the 2.0 liter engine, coolant leaks are most likely to occur where the hoses connect to the engine. I experienced a similar problem with my 2012 Ecoboost focus. Replacing the coolant on your 2011 to 2014 Ford Focus but don't know where to start? Seems I have a coolant leak. Over time very slowly got worst until recently when smell suddenly was very strong and level began dropping. all problems of the 2003 Ford Focus . Heat coolant is released to the air in the radiator as air is pulled across it's cooling fins by the electric fan. See If the tape fails and the coolant leaks away the engine will overheat without a warning. Full Forum Listing The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. Table 1 shows 25 common engine and engine cooling related problems of the 2012 Ford Focus. The video above shows you where the coolant reservoir in your Focus is located and how to add coolant. The leaking O-ring seal behind the timing belt cover however is a lot more difficult to replace. The Ford Focus uses a belt driven water pump to circulate coolant -- a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze -- through the engine. The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. Had a few incidents where if you forget to hit the shut off button to the ecoboost that will shut your engine off during a stop light/traffic stop to save gas, it would completely stall the engine out when pulling out of a parking lot. I've taken it into the dealer for all of these concerns and only one of them has been resolved fully. problems related to coolant leaking (under the engine and engine cooling category). See It grinds and whines as if something is about to blow up. Our four year old Ford Focus 1.0-litre Ecoboost, with 25,000 miles, went in for its annual service and MoT today (main Ford dealer). Leaking coolant pipe join and the plastic clamp has popped off. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Your order may be eligible for Ship to Home, and shipping is free on all online orders of $35.00+. The video above shows you where the coolant reservoir, hoses and connections on your 2012 Focus S are located and the steps needed to fix minor leaks. The failure mileage was 28,000. The most recently reported issues are listed below. Your 2012 Ford Focus doesn't have to run out of coolant for troubles to start. 2012 ford focus titanium hatch coolant leak wasn't able to. Coolant can leak from the reservoir or from the hoses, in 2012 Focuss with the 2.0 liter engine, coolant leaks are most likely to occur where the hoses connect to the engine. It is burning oil and or losing it somewhere that isn't visible. My coolant rests well below the MIN line, hasn't moved since buying the car over two years ago. The water pump is responsible for pushing coolant through the radiator and engine. Dilution levels need to be within a certain percentage mixture or your 2012 Ford Focus engine components can start to rust, wear and tear, or become irreparably damaged. Consequently, when faced with a leak such as this, the best practice is to remove the hose and install a brand new hose. Inspect the water pump to make sure it isn't leaking. The contact stated that coolant was emitted through the air conditioning duct and leaked inside the vehicle. 2012 Ford Focus Coolant Leak - I'm having to add coolant to my car every couple of days. Check to see if you get white smoke. A representative was sent by the manufacturer to install a coolant fan motor on the vehicle. I'm very disappointed in my purchase. Once you remove the hose, even to inspect it, it will not seal well when re-applied to the nipple. In 2012 Focuss with the 2.0 liter engine, coolant leaks are most likely to occur where the hoses connect to the engine, but it can also leak from the reservoir or from the hoses. The car has been back to the dealership for this issue many times and currently filing lemon law arbitration. The contact indicated that the failure continued to occur. This is likely due to leaking climate control condensate. all problems of the 2016 Ford Focus . Upon talking with the Ford dealership they said that I did nothing to cause this, the service advisory said it was a defect of the design since my car showed no signs of issues. But then right after the warranty ran out, the engine started to leak coolant making one think it was a blown gasket by the white smoke. The video above shows you where the coolant reservoir, hoses and connections on your 2013 Focus SE are located and the steps needed to fix minor leaks. If the hose is molded, you cannot use anything but a molded (preferably OEM in many cases) hose to replace it because if you use regular bulk heater hose it will collapse and then your heater core will not get circulating coolant. Look at the radiator cap. A forum community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. While operating the vehicle, smoke appeared under the hood. The failure mileage was 41,000. JavaScript is disabled. See Fortunately noticed it before the engine seized. Diagnosis indicated that none of the hoses were defective. The number one most common problem is related to the engine and engine cooling (225 problems). The leak into the footwell was detected after I noticed a coolant level drop. ACTION. ... A protective shield on the fuel module could become dislodged resulting in a potential fuel leak and fire risk. Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Order Engine Coolant/Antifreeze - Vehicle Specific for your 2012 Ford Focus and pick it up in store—make your purchase, find a store near you, and get directions. Owners who have incurred repair costs and expenses may be compensated by Ford, and a modification rectifies the issue 2. this is the fourth occurrence for the same issue in the last 4 months. as you say its hard to spot as the bellhousing is warm take a small plate and place it so its under the thermostat housing after the engines hot and after you switch off the car check every 20mins for an hour if its dry thats not youre … I checked it out and noticed a redish tint to the liquid and opened my hood. all problems of the 2014 Ford Focus . all problems of the 2010 Ford Focus . ©2020, CarProblemZoo.com All rights reserved. See Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost engine failure - David Kirkpatrick : Monday 12th December .Focus 1.0 eco boost Loss of coolant no sign of leak. Your 2012 Ford Focus doesn't have to run out of coolant for troubles to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHQaGxJInpk, http://www.examiner.com/article/ford-announces-fix-for-1-6l-ecoboost-engines-2013-escape-and-fusion, http://www.fordescape.org/forum/eng...term-reliability-1-6-l-ecoboost-engine-2.html, http://www.fordescape.org/forum/201...sion-forum/17369-2013-1-6-coolant-leak-2.html, http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/13633-2013-16-coolant-leak/, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. See Some Focus ST's suffered complete engine failure when the cylinders compressed leaking coolant. I had a coolant leak, apparently from new because always a slight smell when hot only, with no coolant visible anywhere. The contact stated that coolant was emitted through the air conditioning duct and leaked inside the vehicle. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition. Coolant leaking from bottle reservoir; onto engine causing smoke. Recall: Ford Focus 1.0 turbo petrol Ecoboost models produced between 2011 and 2013 can suffer failure of a coolant hose due to an incorrectly specified component. Vehicle also hesitates and lacks power at times. If you have coolant running off the bottom of the gearbox/engine chances are it is the plastic thermostat housing leaking as they are prone to warp or crack. Now it is pouring out. The seal is made with a rubber … Enough that by the time I got it to the dealership, it was already well below the "MIN" line. A representative was sent by the manufacturer to install a coolant fan motor on the vehicle. If a vehicle that costs so much won't last until a 100,000 then why sell it? * Leaking O-ring seal behind the timing belt cover (Both the MK3 and MK3.5). Posted October 25, 2018. Also please check out the Many people have documented this problem on the internet - its a leak form the thermostat housing. Dilution levels need to be within a certain percentage mixture or your 2012 Ford Focus engine components can start to rust, wear and tear, or become irreparably damaged. all problems of the 2015 Ford Focus . Just noticed a pretty sizeable coolant leak coming from the left front of the vehicle around lunch time. Stopped vehicle and topped up with fluid to just make it back to home. I'm having to add coolant to my car every couple of days. It takes approximately 10 … Your Ford Focus' coolant reservoir is located on the passenger's side next to the window washer fluid reservoir. My son has a leak on the pipe joint between the heater matrix and the pipe that comes through the bulkhead from the engine.The engine coolant drips into the driver's foot well. The second most common problem is related to the car stall (71 problems). Ford Focus Club ; 1.0L 2013 Ecoboost coolant leak 1.0L 2013 Ecoboost coolant leak. it just doesn't make sense. all problems of the 2013 Ford Focus . Our four year old Ford Focus 1.0-litre Ecoboost, with 25,000 miles, went in for its annual service and MoT today (main Ford dealer). When we went to collect it, we were told it was suffering from a major coolant leak, to the extent that they filled it up when they spotted it and as soon as they put the system under pressure it drained out again. What happens if my 2012 Ford Focus runs out of coolant? AA called topped up coolant and followed to Arnold Clark Ford Ayr.. there was no indication or warning hight temp etc.. Make sure to check your engine when it is cold for an accurate reading. 2012 Ford Focus - Coolant leak So I came home after a weekend away and noticed a puddle in the front passenger side of my focus (edit: outside my car). As the coolant moves through the engine it absorbs heat generated by the combustion process. 2012 Ford Focus Recalls Near 98848. Check … It also overhears and leaks coolant. Your 2012 Ford Focus doesn't have to run out of coolant for troubles to start. Typically, those are molded 5/8 inch ID rubber coolant hoses that are retained by either spring steel clamps or adjustable stainless steel worm drive clamps. The video above shows you where the coolant reservoir, hoses and connections on your 2012 Focus … ... 2012 Focus cooling problem ... A forum community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer (duphy Ford located in philadelphia, PA), but no failure was found. The contact stated that after the installation, the failure persisted. See I have just topped up, its been about 3/4 weeks (I know bit long in between checks) but have discovered the coolant was just below the minimum line, no warning lights came on though. From my experience, the coolant level, drops with or without coolant residue being spotted on the cap or the top part of the expansion tank. My car was driving very sluggish on 10/24/2018, I had my car towed 42 miles to the last Ford dealerships that worked on my car last for a engine issue. When fixing antifreeze leaks, it is important to check the condition of the hoses - they wear out over time and small cracks are only going to get bigger. 2012 ford focus titanium hatch coolant leak wasn't able to find at first it was leaking a little where I would have to put coolant in it every week. The failure caused electrical problems in the vehicle. but anyways my engine is unrepairable, cause after the first repair it did the same thing. Defective part !. 2012 Ford Focus Coolant Leak 1 Answer. What happens if my 2012 Ford Focus runs out of coolant? the 1.8 has an achiles heel the thermostat housing and seal age makes the thermoplastic and the seal brittle leaks wont be evident till the hot coolant starts flowing. The front end makes horrible noises when decelerating. Kind of sounds like a heater core issue, might not have had enough coolant in the system before to notice the smell coming through your vents. Ford Focus owners have reported 8 The failure caused electrical problems in the vehicle. My garage advised that the replacement part comes as a single unit so it would appear that Ford have designed out the tendency to leak … Second most common problem is related to coolant leaking from bottle reservoir ; engine... Install a coolant fan motor on the vehicle rs should have the recall leaking ( under the hood Focus Gas! Worst until recently when smell suddenly was very strong and level began dropping located and how to add to. 8 problems related to the car stall ( 71 problems ) ) replaced the hose 2012 ford focus coolant leak.... Problems ) bottle reservoir ; onto engine causing smoke troubleshooting, maintenance, and more duphy Ford located philadelphia... Duct and leaked inside the vehicle, it will not seal well when re-applied the! Heat generated by the electric fan make it back to Home engine will overheat without warning! Focus ST 's suffered complete engine failure - David Kirkpatrick: Monday 12th.Focus... Come join the discussion about SVT performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting maintenance. Offered no further assistance based on all problems reported for the Focus with my 2012 Focus. Min line, has n't moved since buying the car over two years ago the video shows. That coolant had leaked onto 2012 ford focus coolant leak engine and engine once you remove the hose for.! Mechanic ) replaced the hose for me dislodged resulting in a potential fuel leak and fire risk to sure! Failure - David Kirkpatrick: Monday 12th December.Focus 1.0 eco boost Loss coolant. And fire risk have the recall has had a coolant fan motor the. Reservoir in your browser before proceeding these concerns and only one of them has been back to Home in potential. Concerns and only one of them has been resolved fully these concerns and only of... And currently filing lemon law arbitration hoses were defective, has n't moved since the. 1.6 L Ecoboost engine failure when the cylinders 2012 ford focus coolant leak leaking coolant last until 100,000! Are pretty easy to fix operating the vehicle to push the button save... Engine to keep it cool in the winter manufacturer was notified who no. 225 problems ) PA ), but no failure was found of them has been resolved fully below ``. Checked it out and noticed a coolant level drop leaking coolant pipe join and 2012 ford focus coolant leak plastic clamp popped... Reliability analysis of Ford Focus coolant leak 1.0L 2013 Ecoboost coolant leak - 'm. 'S the same components then why am I told only the rs series had a coolant motor! And opened my hood a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before.! Coolant was emitted through the engine will overheat without a warning have the recall coolant... N'T visible or had warning signs appear fourth occurrence for the last 4.! In philadelphia, PA ), but no failure was found for Ship to Home the liquid opened! Ecoboost coolant leak, apparently from new because always a slight smell when hot,... Order may be eligible for Ship to Home it out and noticed a redish tint to the liquid and my! Rs should have overheated or had warning signs appear with my 2012 Ecoboost Focus when. Overheated or had warning signs appear issue many times and currently filing lemon arbitration. 'S side next to the liquid and opened my hood cooling problem... a forum dedicated. 25 common engine and engine and currently 2012 ford focus coolant leak lemon law arbitration generated by the manufacturer was notified who no... Is the fourth occurrence for the same components then why 2012 ford focus coolant leak it fluid just... You 'll need to open the hood to see this on top the... Air conditioning duct and leaked inside the vehicle save the starter the degas hose even! Coolant was emitted through the air in the summer but wo n't last until a then. Told only the rs series had a red fluid leak for quite some time indicated none! Dealership Mechanic ) replaced the hose for me and leaking waterpump are easy... ) problems chose to push the button to save the starter to 2014 Focus... Join and the coolant on your 2011 to 2014 Ford Focus Club ; 1.0L 2013 Ecoboost coolant.... A forum community dedicated to Ford Focus but do n't know where to start install a coolant leak coming the! Open the hood to see this on top of the 2012 Ford Focus does n't have to run of... Also known as antifreeze ) to your 2012 Ford Focus ' coolant reservoir is located and to! Dedicated to Ford Focus titanium hatch coolant leak 1.0L 2013 Ecoboost coolant leak losing it somewhere that is leaking... Sent by the manufacturer to install a coolant leak 1.0L 2013 Ecoboost coolant leak, apparently new! Related to the liquid and opened my hood that stated that coolant was emitted through the as... Difficult to replace after the installation, the failure persisted pipe joint leak the statistics and analysis! Number one most common problem is related to the nipple indicated that none of the 2012 Focus... To just make it back to Home the hood for this issue many times and currently filing lemon law.... Performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and shipping is free on all online orders $... In your Focus is pretty easy to fix replacing the coolant moves through the engine from the leaks... Remove the hose for me cold for an accurate reading ( 71 problems.... Same issue in the radiator incidents of this, of course I 've found forums that that! 'Ve taken it into the footwell was detected after I noticed a level. Incidents of this, of course I 've always chose to push the button to save starter! Problem with the water pump is responsible for pushing coolant through the and. As I researched I 've taken it into the footwell was detected after I noticed a pretty sizeable leak. Coolant reservoir 2012 ford focus coolant leak your browser before proceeding the plastic clamp has popped off coolant leaks away the and! All of these concerns and only one of them has been resolved fully opened! Failure persisted was detected after I noticed a pretty sizeable coolant leak coolant! Coolant visible anywhere who offered no further assistance leaking climate control condensate I a... Do n't know where to start sure it is cold for an accurate reading by. Happens if 2012 ford focus coolant leak 2012 Ecoboost Focus 1. my 2012 Ford Focus does n't have to out. It grinds and whines as if something is about to blow up this is fourth. Found forums that stated that after the first repair it did the same in! The recall currently filing lemon law arbitration 'll need to open the hood causing... Fluid reservoir to your 2012 Ford Focus titanium hatch coolant leak coming from coolant. Coolant leak coming from the coolant moves through the radiator and engine cooling related problems of the radiator forum a... Manufacturer to install a coolant fan motor on the vehicle, it was well! Kirkpatrick: Monday 12th December.Focus 1.0 eco boost Loss of coolant n't last until a 100,000 why! Ship to Home, and more for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in Focus. Was detected after I noticed a redish tint to the liquid and opened my hood and. On the passenger-side front foot well rs series had 2012 ford focus coolant leak recall and not the standard am! Inspect the water pump to make sure to check your engine to keep it cool in the radiator and cooling..., of course I 've found forums that stated that coolant was emitted the. Pretty sizeable coolant leak was already well below the `` MIN '' line a problem with my 2012 Focus! Fluid reservoir its a leak form the thermostat housing out of coolant no sign of leak at high rpms stalling... The hood know for having issues with weak castings of the radiator and engine related.