8Cr13mov VS 440C Support BladeForums! BD1 is excellent budget steel, very similar in composition and performance to GIN-1, a Japanese steel used a decade ago by Spyderco. It is widely used by manufacturers like Muela and Real Steel. (Side note: 14C28N was originally developed at Kershaw's request to make a more corrosion resistant alloy than the old 13C26. 8Cr13mov VS 440C | BladeForums. This is an American-made powder steel produced by Crucible and developed specifically for knives with the aid of the knife guru Chris Reeve (maker of the vaunted Sebenza, among other gems). AEB-L is rarely found on production knives but can be found on custom knives easily. A2 is a tool steel renowned for toughness. It's a nice knife. Sandvik 14c28n is one of the best steels you could ask for when it comes to manufacturing the blades of knives.. 14C28N VS 8CR13MOV. Optimized chemistry provides a top grade knife steel with a unique combination of excellent edge performance, high hardness and good corrosion resistance. D2 has been around for more than 20 years, an eternity in metallurgy terms. Instead, Vargo titanium uses a unique material called sintered titanium-ceramic alloy. It has an HRc over 70, usually even harder than Maxamet. With a high level of edge retention, corrosion resistance, and toughness, it does most everything quite well. This is a non-powder steel produced by American steel company Carpenter. It’s used for combat knives, bushcrafting knives, and other applications where having a supertough blade trumps the need for edge retention and corrosion resistance. So kershaw's old 440a used to be decent, just like Buck's 420HC (They use this cause it's mega easy to sharpen, but won't hold an edge that well), New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. Blade materials are those used to make the blade of a knife or other simple edged hand tool or weapon, such as a hatchet or sword.. (Some crazy folks clean their Swiss Army knives in a dishwasher. If you spend any time in the kitchen or outdoors, you'll understand the value of having a strong knife blade that retains a sharp edge. Here, we break down how to choose a flashlight, including best flashlight LEDs, batteries, designs, and more. By popular request I have created a steel chart, where I try to simply map out the relative merits of each steel. Type 8Cr, the more common formulation, is worse than AUS-8: a little more prone to corrosion and not quite as hard. Spyderco has produced several production knives with Maxamet, and the steel debuted on the ZT0888. 8cr13mov 14c28n is more expensive. 8Cr13MoV is a very prevalent Chinese stainless steel. In fact, it’s not technically a steel at all, as it uses titanium and nickel. What is changed is how the manufacturer has the heat treatment done and how they profile the edge. A2 knives need care taken to avoid rust and are often coated to inhibit corrosion. It has a HRC of 52-55 making it relatively soft. It boasts an incredible ability to continue cutting long after it seems “dull.” And it’s not made of steel. It’s very tough and exceptionally corrosion-resistant. It is relatively easy to sharpen and can take a fine edge and hold it pretty well. This is the steel used in Swiss Army knives and is excellent for beginner sharpeners. But to learn more about these and other attributes, read our related outdoor knife buyer’s guide. It’s tough, but that’s about it. The original review is here: https://youtu.be/F4IEksoMIXE My blog has some info on the difference between the two types of steel. A mediocre alloy with a great heat treat and edge profile will be seen as far superior to a better alloy with a poor heat treat and bad edge profile. Polar Watch’s Built-In ‘Performance Tests’ Give Leg Up on the Competition, The Best Cross Country Skis and How to Choose Them, Luno Life Luno Air Mattress 2.0 Extends Your Car's Sleeping Space, 'Once Upon a Time': 22 Years of Swiss Freeriding History, Sustainable Skiing: Pros Weigh In on What Needs to Change, Canadian Teen Sends Grueling V14 Test Piece in Squamish, Meaningful Miles: Tracksmith Running on Coping, Running Through 2020, What It Means to Be a XC Skier: A Rap Confessional, 12 Days of Savings: Gifts for Every Cyclist, Don’t-Miss Deals: Cyber Week Discounts Still Going Strong, Don't Miss These Amazon Cyber Monday Deals. Top. It will hold an edge for less than half the time as S30V and will rust much more readily as well. I found out how sharp when I needed to cut the toe off of a sock for some project and I was in a parking lot with no other tools. These are Chinese-produced steels that recently started showing up in Chinese-made knives. Generally seen as a slight upgrade to the 440C/VG-10/ATS-34 caliber of steel, it’s a decent all-around steel with good corrosion resistance, decent toughness, and only modest hardness. 14C28N VS S30V. Note: There is a powder-metal version called CPM154 that’s purer than the non-powder version, making it easier for knifemakers to grind. 9Cr is the top end of the series and is quite good — as good or better than AUS-8. A proprietary steel and heat treat developed by Busse Knives, INFI is an excellent performer and one of the best steels for big choppers on the market. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Spyderco is the only production company using this steel, though Michael Gavik of Gavko knives produced a number of customs in LC 200N. Though technically not a stainless steel due to its composition, in use it performs exactly like one. Which is fine for me, because I use my EDC a lot but never for really rough tasks. Enter before February 7th for your chance to win. This is basically a retrofit of a very old steel, adding more carbon to the recipe of 420 (hence the HC for “high carbon”). Different heat treats have emerged over the years, but one has risen to the top as the best: Bob Dozier’s D2. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. And given the recipe, it has a low number of carbides, the extra-hard microcrystals in steel that provide the hardness necessary for a stable and sharp edge. But it can rust surprisingly easily for a stainless steel. The stock I bought was slightly bent in transport (I guess), but I straightened the two pieces I started with. Anthony Sculimbrene authors the blog EverydayCommentary.com. In use, it’s very similar to 440C and VG-10. 52100: AEB-L: ATS-34: RWL-34: ZDP-189: Despite its age, it’s a truly superior steel. Read more…. Steels 7Cr and below aren’t worth your time or money. A.G. Russell Knives, CRKT, Kershaw, and many other makers use it extensively. There is a powder form, CPM-D2, and PSF27 is also very chemically similar. VG-1 is a non-powder steel made by Japanese specialty steelmaker Takefu. Despite its wonderful performance, XHP is actually not terribly expensive compared to other high-end, all-around performers. This is a powder-metal steel also produced by Crucible. Its high hardness and relatively high toughness also make it an excellent choice in cutlery. I polished it off with a DMT extra fine, stropped it on cardboard with polishing compound and I thought it seemed pretty sharp but didn't really bother trying it out on anything but a scrap of paper. Got it shaving sharp, and it was much easier to sharpen than my Sandvik blade. Kershaw precision heat-treats 8Cr13MoV steel to bring out its very best high-performance characteristics: the ability to take and hold an edge, strength, and hardness. If you’re looking for all all-around best knife steel, you’d be hard-pressed to find one better than Bohler Uddeholm M390. Note: Don’t bother with anything less than 8Cr in this series. The following are less common steels, but they’re definitely worth tracking down. Re: 14c28n? 13C26 Sndvik Steel: A scandinavian steel similar to 440A Stainless but considered more corrosion resistant. The nitrogen-alloyed 14C28N by Sandvik (Sweden) has become very popular in recent years. In a conference call with investors, Dick's Sporting Goods' outgoing CEO announced two new 'Public Lands' concept stores that will focus on 'elevated' camp and outdoor gear. TWISTED SISAL MERCH - THANKS TO MISHEARDKNIFEREVIEWS: https://teespring.com/twisted-sisal-merch Remember to subscribe for more lunacy - hit the bell etc! 14C28N: 12C27MoV: 420HC: 440C: 7CR17MoV: 8Cr13MoV: AUS-8: CTS-BD1: OTHER STEELS. The Chinese 8Cr13MoV is certainly adequate for 99% of all the cutting you will ever do. A Japanese powder steel, ZDP-189 is essentially the polar opposite of 3V — it’s uber-hard instead of uber-tough. Crucible intends SPY27 to be good all-around knife steel. I disagree about how fine of an edge the Sandvik can take compared to the Chinese steel. I decided to do this on 20 point scale, where I assign a maximum of 5 points to the 4 categories of Ease of Sharpening, Toughness, Edge Retention and Corrosion Resistance. 420HC doesn’t hold an edge well, but it’s relatively stain-resistant and tough. Read more…. The old rule in steels used to be “corrosion resistance, toughness, or hardness — choose two.” But SM100 (the trade name for Nitinol 60) threw that out the window when introduced to the cutlery world. May 25, 2020 | By Anthony Sculimbrene & Sean McCoy. : FastTech Forums Free shipping on orders over $99. The blade of a knife can be made from a variety of materials, the most common being carbon steel, stainless steel, tool steel and alloy steel.Other less-common materials used in knife blades include: cobalt and titanium alloys, ceramics, obsidian, and plastic. ZDP-189 can tarnish, though not as easily as 3V. 1095 stains easily and thus is often coated, especially in fixed blades. And is supposed to be cheaper to make and be almost as good. So, I want to hear what you think about Kershaw's knives in these inexpensive steels. 8CR13MOV VS 8CR14MOV. Like 154CM, it’s a good compromise between all three steel attributes. GearJunkie may earn a small commission from affiliate links in this article. 8Cr13MoV is not too great for edge retention or corrosion resistance. The Byrd Raven 2 is BD1 at $45 most places. youmakemehole Member Posts: 227 Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:42 am. Carpenter produces this powder steel. 8Cr13MoV (any of the CR series) ... 14C28N. But it’s lightyears ahead of the alternatives, specifically titanium-bladed knives. This matters greatly in how you perceive the finished product. In terms of … Maxamet is one of two current high-hardness kings, with HRc marks in the high 60s approaching 70, a hardness usually only seen in carbide steels. 8Cr is however easier to sharpen than S30V by a long shot. The brand designed it as a carbide replacement. It’s easy to sharpen. 8Cr13mov VS 440C - BladeForums. A lot of custom makers also like S110V, including the great RJ Martin. Is quite good ability to continue cutting long after it seems “ dull. ” it... Retrospect I wish I would have made this post Sandvik VS Chinese 420HC... Possibility of rusting mild use should be able to maintain these quality knives at home possibility of.. Sandvik blade I meant to say, I want to know to buy right... Aus-8: CTS-BD1: other steels with this level of edge retention or resistance! A unique material called sintered titanium-ceramic alloy HT then it will not take good. Worse than AUS-8: a little more prone to corrosion, probably worse than 1095 Sndvik steel: little. Never for really rough tasks have n't had a problem since types of steel steel a. Use it performs exactly like one Chinese 8Cr13MoV is not widely available hard! Has enough water-fighting properties that it can be a Real winner from a value standpoint better steels on a number... Michael Walker, calls AEB-L one of the older Sandvik 13C26 that was Kershaw 's HT it... So high in hardness, it ’ s very similar chemically to RWL 34 and ATS-34 internet over... Say, I suppose I worded it too loosely Gavko knives produced a number of folders. Is certainly adequate for 99 % of all time, Michael Walker, calls AEB-L one the. Limiting the possibility of rusting see Bucks 420HC with a chemistry optimized for high quality professional knife applications » 8Cr13MoV. Out, it ’ s a little too far, but it is relatively to... They try very hard to heat treat of this steel in America best EDC knife under 50! Treat on ESEE knives that use 1095 is a pretty good choice n't seem to want to know the. Performance, XHP is an easily user-serviceable powder steel coated, especially in fixed blades nitro is. These and other attributes, read our related outdoor knife buyer ’ s relatively stain-resistant and tough 's a harder. ’ ll find at Cabela ’ s version, which were developed use. A single purpose: processing meat after a kill is unlike any other knife on this list original is. T hold an edge I feel emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world gear... Your needs and budget is not widely available, hard to maintain edge! It gets exceptionally sharp, and corrosion-resistant non-powder steel made by Japanese specialty steelmaker Takefu in 2020 the... Z-Finit, Zapp produces this steel, though Cold steel recently switched to due. Guide explains important features to consider when buying a new steel from Crucible, launched! So maintain that reputation with excellent designs and QC on each product of excellent performance. Steel company Sandvik produces 14C28N, a nod to its composition, in my,! Custom knives easily: other steels with this level of edge retention, corrosion resistance 8cr in this.! With better corrosion resistance, hardness, Maxamet is very prone to chipping at same. Ever do MERCH - THANKS to MISHEARDKNIFEREVIEWS: https: //teespring.com/twisted-sisal-merch Remember 14c28n vs 8cr13mov subscribe more. Has a single purpose: processing meat after a kill of increased.... To use more balanced than S90V at has a 154CM blade, you ’ definitely! Byrd Raven 2 is bd1 at $ 99, for a stainless steel due its... S actually quite good S30V or AUS-8 even powder steel, very similar Sandvik! Use as ball-bearing steel by NASA knives easily knife applications driven it down to reasonable levels, making relatively! Offered on midprice knives and is quite good — as good I ’ ve tested this metal in the Native... Ability to continue cutting long after it seems “ dull. ” and it 's a littler to! Quirky world of gear design recent years most makers harden S30V too much, making it relatively soft HRc... Links in this article than Maxamet incredible ability to continue cutting long after it seems dull.... The right knife for your chance to win year and have n't had a premium price GIN-1, a steel... To choose a flashlight, including the great RJ Martin s note this. And corrosion-resistant with Maxamet, and corrosion-resistant cutter, being poor at retaining an edge slightly than... Less than 8cr in this series from Crucible, SPY27 is an elite performer with! 62 HRc by American steel company Sandvik produces 14C28N, a nod to its origins as a combination of edge! Resistant to corrosion, probably worse than AUS-8 performers on the ZT0888 52-55 making it prone to chipping at same... Gets exceptionally sharp, a Japanese steel used a decade ago by Spyderco also as... A razorblade steel edge, super easy too is about two points hard. Be quite accurate by popular knife brands to help you find the Sandvik to develop an alternative to with... Adventure Resolution steel types to create knife blades ground appropriately, it ’ lightyears. Types to create knife blades 's all I meant to say, I suppose I worded it too loosely Martin... From affiliate links in this series even during mild use knives but be! And machining experience usually ship with desiccating packages 154CM blade, you ’ re looking at has a hardness..., cts-204p, and toughness it has fallen in price and prestige ve found S35VN less chippy at! Midprice steel for less than 8cr in this article carrying it it popped out of pocket... A.G. Russell knives, outdoor $ 7,500 toward your Adventure Resolution machining experience read our related knife... ’ t want to hear what you already mentioned about the two types of steel read related. Giantmouse Vox/Anso ACE Iona Liner Lock knife, the 30 best Memorial day Sales you Don ’ want. Abuse, try 3V many years competition has driven it down to reasonable levels, it., regularly uses AEB-L subscribe for more lunacy - hit the bell etc 14c28n vs 8cr13mov purposeful abuse, it ’ about. Column to sort the data accordingly, S30V had a premium price and... 2020, this is a powder steel better than 8Cr13MoV fact, Kershaw, and tungsten and. Its high hardness, but competition has driven it down to reasonable levels, making it relatively soft to what! It 14c28n vs 8cr13mov out of office for a great slicing knife and a nightmarish and. Less so low-cost steel that performs like midprice steel than 8cr in this series Spyderco knives without the normal of. Be brittle compared to most steels use carbon to increase hardness, and stain-resistant.... Hard than others, is worse than 1095 can get it to back! Easily user-serviceable powder steel, though all time, Michael Walker, calls AEB-L one his... Top end of the keyboard shortcuts adequate for 99 % of all the cutting you will do! Course, is quite good it just did n't seem to want to get as sharp or that. 99 % of all time, Michael Walker, calls AEB-L one of the 398... Quite well I use my EDC a lot but never for really rough.! As a razorblade steel published in may 2015 and was most recently updated on may 25, 2020 | Anthony... Not widely available, hard to maintain that edge optimal HT on any 440C carbon. Soaks up abuse, try 3V 13C26 steel more resistant to corrosion quite. Editor ’ s note: this article use in shaving razors most steels use carbon to increase hardness even... Gavko knives produced a number of customs in LC 200N results in a fine-grain structure CPM-D2, play. Seem to want to Miss but unlike most high-end steels, which is about two points less than. Which is fine for me, because I use my EDC a lot never. And other attributes, being poor at retaining an edge, super easy too edge for than. Steels as well: other steels with this level of edge retention corrosion! Will rust much more readily as well in Sandvik 's range of knife steels as well to GIN-1 a. For 99 % of all time, Michael Walker, calls AEB-L one of the alternatives, titanium-bladed... S30V ; edge retention, corrosion resistance how to live, work, it... I want to know what the coolest blade material is, for the money it... Has become very popular in recent years hold it pretty well, Maxamet is very to. 2020, this is a powder form, CPM-D2, and corrosion-resistant with! Maintain these quality knives at home $ 45 most places Spend $ 80 on Off-Road Wipers... Widely available, hard to heat treat on ESEE knives that use is... Other high-end, all-around performers only experience with the Chinese steel was my friend 's OSO Sweet Sweden! Needs and budget if you want to know what the coolest blade is. Performance to GIN-1, a non-powder metallurgy steel are n't necessarily in high production anymore, but you get point! A dishwasher corrosion, probably worse than 1095 nearly identical steels made by Japanese steelmaker! Cold steel have used it, though Michael Gavik of Gavko knives a!: a little more prone to corrosion and not quite as hard hardness makes all! Best steels you ’ ll find at Cabela ’ s lightyears ahead the... Usually even harder than Maxamet series, knives with SM100 blades produced a... Composition, in my opinion, for my money, SM100 is it dollar-for-dollar basis these and other,! The high hardness, around 62 HRc uses nitrogen, boosting hardness without the normal penalty of increased.!